Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sorry!

My power went out and I couldn't get on the computer. Sorry for that. You guys did great, though. I never thought about the fact that Amy was WRONG. I just felt that I understood those reasons why she did it. She had unresolved feelings, I think. Those are obviously very powerful.

Discussion question two-

How did Razi defy the conventions of society in the 1920s? If she had lived, do you think she would have fulfilled her dream of becoming a doctor, or set aside that ambition for marriage and motherhood? Given the time period, would it be realistic for her to have done both?

This was another great thing about the story for me. The discussion of birth control and woman's rights in the past and present.

I loved that Razi was so brave and so strong in her beliefs. I think that she loved Andrew and wanted to be with him but I don't think she would have let that stop her. She was going to become a doctor. She drug her feet with his proposal, she didn't turn around to get his ring and letter, she lingered on in her grief (as Kate talks about in the comments below) not really actively searching for Andrew...

8 comments:

mamashine said...

I wonder if they would have ever been really happy, if she'd lived. She doesn't seem like the conventional sort, and I don't think she would have necessarily made him happy in the end. I do think being a doctor was more important to her than doing everything that being a wife then entailed.

Maybe she didn't go looking for him because she didn't want to see whether or not he ended up happy without her?

shoeaddict said...

I agree with that A LOT. I don't know that some relationships can make real life. I am a romantic at heart but I live in the real world and PASSION doesn't fit into life evey second of everyday. Things are not always black and white, there is a whole lot of grey. Every day life- work, house, cook, clean, bills, kids, that is grey.... not bad, just grey usually. Razi was not grey.

Amy said...

I think what k in the mirror said about not going looking for him b/c she didn't want to know if he ended up happy without her is probably true. I think she told herself that she was not going to try to find him for his own good...that he would be happier/better off without her lurking around. Yet...she couldn't release herself to the other side until she knew what had happened to him. I think she was just scared to find out that his life went on without her.

I am not sure whether she would have been a doctor or a wife/mother or both. I think if anyone could have done both during a time in which it was frowned upon for women to be well-educated and employeed, Razi would have been the person who could "do it all".

Kate said...

I think she would have been a doctor. I think that Razi was probably born the way she was, but certain people and events in her life shaped her, especially in terms of her feelings toward education. She heard stories of her grandmother going crazy and her mother fighting for the right to vote. She didn't seem to see those as rights so much as necessities.

I don't know if she would have ended up with Andrew, if she would have deferred her dream as he wanted her to (unlikely--as K in the Mirror pointed out about the ring and letter) or if they would have married after law/med school. I think that they would have clashed a lot as the practicalities of life hit them. As people gave Andrew more grief about his wife not being there for him as she "should" have been. Or maybe he wouldn't have waited for her until she was ready or she wouldn't have had the faith in him to let him.

Kate said...

And I agree that she probably didn't want to know what happened to him because she was afraid of seeing him happy without her. She wanted it, but she didn't want to make it too real by seeing it or knowing too many details.

mamashine said...

I think so too, kate, and I think he was the best available to her at the time, but really there's not any man who would have understood her passion for causes. I think she wanted to be with him, but not really to marry him.

shoeaddict said...

I keep thinking that he loved her because she was different and passionate BUT he still got a little tired of it. Or if not tired of it, scared or worried.

Sarah T. said...

I agree with Shoe about Andrew loving Razi for her uniqueness but at the same time being troubled by it, like a double edged sword. He loved that she was passionate, but because of the times, it also frightened him, which may have eventually turned into resentment had they married.